November 03, 2023
In writing this blog post, I let myself think back in what I wished it existed when I was a medical student. I hate having stuff just for the sake of having it, so my list will be on the practical side.
According to reviews it is of great quality, with attention to detail, easy to assemble, and students have been using it and loving it while studying anatomy. Now, I had easy acces to the real thing, but that is not really possible in todays time, so here is the next best thing.
2. Next in line for a practical but sweet gift: this anatomy mug
3. Now, obviously I am in love with my own mugs, like this modern black anatomy mug.
Absolutely perfect, but yes, it is mine, so what else am I going to say.
4. With great reviews coming in is this suture kit!
Durable, holds up great, has enough sutures and is a great and practical gift for med students and why not surgery interns. Never enough practice.
5. Someone in your family just starting medical or nursing school? They are working hard towards it? Think about how proud they will be to have the first stethoscope! I say, go for quality. Never mind it is their first, you don´t want them to hear something else than they were supposed to :-)
6. I find we go through bottles pretty often. The cause is usually a dropping injury to the bottle. This household is a queen in dropping bottles and usually plates. You know, the ceramic or porcelain ones...
So here comes the cheaper but quality version bottle of those more famous ones. Durable and comes in beautiful colors and a lot of sizes!
7. I think books are always an easy but extraordinary option. If you have a budding pathologist friend, family member, then these will be very much enjoyed by them:
8. Stationery products
These are almost always a hit. Who doesn´t love a good notepad, a nice sticker or a planner?
My favorite notebooks are from Moleskine. The paper quality is nice, I love using Pilot pens for writing in it. I use it for journaling, note taking or really anything that crosses my mind. I also use their planners, and I love the ones where on one side you have the weekly layout, on the other one you have a blank page for your notes. It is practical, you see your whole week at once, but have place for notes as well. They come in different sizes, and if portability is required, than I would get the S size. Choose the soft cover if lighter backpack is a wish.
My absolut favorite pen is the Pilot G2. I've heard about these from just about anyone in the planner community. I will always return to these. My daughter uses them and she refuses to use anything else.
9. Now don´t laugh at these. One thing every vascular surgeon colleague told me and everyone who listened: if you need to stand more than the usual, wear compression socks. And I did. I know my family history, I know I am predisposed to varicose veins, so wear them I did. I even wear them in the summer when going hiking. I would not leave the house to go stand in the hospital for 12 hours, without compression socks. The 30 something year old legs of theirs will be thankful. I know socks are something you get from grandma, but grandma knows best.
10. You want to be more original? And you like to knit? I love to knit, so I could not leave this out. This heart anatomy pattern is free and is amazing! I would freaked out to receive this as a gift. It is a quick knit and I am sure will make an impression.
11. I am sure the girls will be obsessed with this heart anatomy necklace. From all I've seen, I like this the most.
A simple, elegant and delicate necklace. I am charmed :-)
These all would make great gifts, and you can find something here for every budget. But you know, maybe just ask them, what they would need or love to receive. Maybe a gym membership, or better yet a streaming platform subscription, because time is scarce, and they would rather work out at home. I am sure each and every one of us, can at least name a category of gifts that we are interested or delighted in receiving. Times are not easy. I know simply giving your time and energy will be the most appreciated gift you can give. I would give so much, to go back in time and have another study session with my mom. We didn´t have websites with test questions back in the day (oh, a subscription to these would be so helpful) so my mom sometimes played the test bank part :-). Always a winner.
Have a beautiful period leading up to the holidays!
PS: some of these are affiliated links. Thank you for understanding!
Comments will be approved before showing up.